We Need Your Help for Health Kits
Part of the DNA of Spirit & Life is servant projects where we as growing disciples can impact the world around us. One of our confirmands is spearheading such a project and she needs your help.
What is a confirmand you ask? This is one of our teens who are in the current confirmation class. Confirmation is a rite of passage confirming a teen’s faith. On Sunday, June 11, we will be confirming a couple of our youth. I am very excited to start this faith tradition at Spirit & Life.
Who is the confirmand you ask? This is Raygn Jordan, a 9th grader at Forest Park High School. Yes, the same school we meet in as a church.
As part of confirmation she needs to do two servant projects. Her first project was baking cookies for Kairos, a prison ministry Emmaus weekend. She needs help from you for her second project. She has pledged to put together 100 health kits for UMCOR.
UMCOR is the United Methodist’s Committee on Relief. Health kits are provided to meet the basic necessities to people who have been forced to leave their homes because of human conflict or natural disaster.
Raygn is asking for following items to be donated throughout the month of May. You may bring them with you to church and leave them at the designated location where Raygn will be. The items needed are:
• hand towels, 15 x 25 inches to 17 x 27 inches (kitchen, cleaning, and microfiber towels are not acceptable)
• washcloths (hint: we need 100)
• combs (combs need to be sturdy and longer than 6 inches long, no pocket combs or picks, rattail combs and combs without handles are acceptable with a minimum of 6 inches of teeth)
• metal nail files or nail clippers (no emery boards)
• bath-size soaps, 3 oz. and larger sizes only (no Ivory or Jergens soap due to moisture content)
• toothbrushes, adult size only (hint: we need 100)
• adhesive bandages, ¾ inch to 1 inch-size
• monetary donations—On the offering envelope or in your electronic donation, indicate “health kits.” All monies donated will be used to fill in the needs so complete health kits can be put together.
On Sunday, June 11, (yes, same Sunday as our confirmation) the teens and tweens AND their parents will do the assembly of the health kits. Ideally we will have 100 of each item needed.
So what are you going to donate? Bring it with you this Sunday. Raygn will thank you in person.
More in Blog
October 9, 2019The Fear That I Am Unloveable
October 1, 2019Morning Prayer of the One Who Already Feels Behind
September 11, 2019How We Measure Enough in God’s World (Which is Not Our World)